Thursday, March 22, 2007

Getting Close to Your Subject for the Perfect Picture

Here is the best tip I have ever gotten or given in photography. I learned it early on and it really does make all the difference in the world to any picture. If there is nothing in the picture in the background of the foreground than all the viewer has to focus on and enjoy is your work of art. Even a step or two closer can really draw the viewer into the moment.
This is especially true when taking pictures of people. Just think of the last time you saw a picture of a loved one, you know the one, that picture that just makes you smile when you see it. It not only captures the moment but the face. Whether you are taking pictures of people of places filling the lens with the subject is the best way to go.
Keep in mind however if you are using a digital camera your picture doesn't suffer from "parallax". Whats this you say, "parallax" is simply put viewfinder is not at the same position as the camera's lens. So when you are VERY close say taking a macro and you are using the view finder only what you see is NOT necessarily what you'll get.
Let me tell you a funny story that happened to me when I bought my first digital camera about 15yrs.
I was taking pictures of some flowers in the garden and because I was new to digital or regular photography for that matter I looked through the view finder instead of the LCD. I was maybe a foot away from the flower. I thought all had gone well with the pictures. I loaded them onto my computer and they were all off center! I thought for sure my brand new camera was broken, I even sent it in to be repaired! I had only had it a few months, and could not imagine how it got broken but to me it was broken. Kodak sent it back saying they found nothing wrong with the camera. When I called to talk to some one at Kodak they told me about "parallax". Well I felt stupid but I did learn, from then on when I took a closeup I used my LCD to line up my shots because I new from then on what I saw through he LCD was what would show up on my computer.
LCD's really are the way to go when doing macro or closeup shots.

No comments: